Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What a Day!

I had the pleasure of visiting Arizona Conservatory for Arts & Academics today to talk to them about my book, The Dragon Forest and about the writing process.

What a day it was!!

The small charter school was crowded with all the kids socializing before the first bell. I went to Mr. Underwood's 6th grade class first. Boy, did it bring back memories for me!

6th grade is my FAVORITE grade to teach. They are old enough to learn harder concepts, yet young enough to still respect authority.

I have to admit, it felt great being inside the classroom again. It's been over 2 years. I didn't realize how much I missed it!

When Mr. Underwood introduced me, the kids were so excited. That meant the world to me. I read them a passage from my book, asked them about what I read, and received some great comments. What a treat!

As I later met with the 7th and 8th graders, I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure if this age group would be interested in what I had to say....I was WRONG!

These kids LOVED talking about writing. They were genuine and insightful. We had great conversations all day long!

One thing I noticed, was how respectful they were toward their teacher who was strict yet very kind and sweet.

I am truly grateful to the Lord for giving me the opportunity to talk to these wonderful kids about the joy of writing. I left them with some good tools to use to develop their characters and plot. I look forward to someday reading one of their books!


So, whenever I get down or frustrated with writing my stories....I will remember how fun it was to visit these kids. None of that would have happened had I given up and not finished my book, or if I had given up and not stuck with the long arduous task of getting it published!

Those kids and their smiling faces is enough motivation for me to keep on keeping on.

Just write!

No comments:

Post a Comment